Cruisin' 92.1, WVLT is South Jersey's #1 Oldies Powerhouse!

Cruisin' 92.1, WVLT is just like your own personal jukebox!
>Cruisin' 92.1, WVLT
 WVLT Air Personalities
 Station History
 WVLT Photo Gallery
 Rock n Roll History
 Top 92 Oldies of 2002
 Total Programming
 Daily Schedule
 Evening Schedule
 Saturday Schedule
 Sunday Schedule
 Video & Audio
 Fun & Games
 WVLT Public Service
 WVLT News
 WVLT Weather
 WVLT Sports
 Reception & Coverage
 Contact WVLT
 Jerry Blavat Website
 Sally Starr Website
 Media Kit
 Cool Links
 Link to
 Jobs at Cruisin' 92.1
 WMIZ - 1270 AM
The LEGENDARY Sally Starr cruises your way every Sunday from 12 noon to 3 pm EXCLUSIVELY on Cruisin' 92.1, WVLT
Pictures of Chief Halftown and Sally Starr broadcasting live on Cruisin' 92.1, WVLT.
Photo on left is 2001 and picture on right is 2002. WVLT's Sally Starr, heard Sundays from 12 noon to 3 pm exclusively on Cruisin' 92.1, was a friend of Chief Halftown for many, many years. Below is a snapshot of both of them in 1960 at a Channel 6 personal appearance.
He always preferred the word "Indian" to the politically correct "Native American." Traynor Ora Halftown was 100% Seneca Indian and Chief Halftown passed away on Sunday, July 6th.

Born on the reservation on Saturday, February 24, 1917 in upstate New York, Chief Halftown always started his television broadcast with "Ees da sa sussaway" which was Seneca for "Let us begin" or "Let's get started." The idea was actually his mom's. He just wanted to say, "roll the cartoon."

Halftown grew up in Buffalo, just a couple dozen miles away from the Seneca reservation where both of his parents were born. Chief got his middle name, Ora, from his dad. That was his father's first name. His dad worked as a professional middleweight boxer and mill worker while his mother, Katie stayed at home as a "housemaid" as she liked to be called. His grandfather toured with Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show.

Halftown started his legendary channel 6 broadcasts a couple days after Labor Day of 1950. Upon "retiring" in 1999, he had spent 50 years (a half-century) on WFIL-TV that later became WPVI. It is the longest running local TV children's show in the history of the world. Not bad for a guy who was hired for a six-week series.

On his broadcasts and public appearances, Chief Halftown always dressed in full Indian costume. This included a full-feathered bonnet, beads, and buckskin. The show started out as an inexpensive cartoon vehicle and within weeks, Halftown was a star. Eventually, the Chief also included lessons dealing with tribal folklore, customs, language, crafts and chants.

Chief Halftown almost always worked in front of a live on-set audience of kids. However, Halftown early on wanted to be the next crooner like Frank Sinatra. While in high school, he was performing as "The Singing Seneca" in local nightspots earning ten or fifteen dollars a night. He did some big band singing with Buddy Wilson's Band at New York City's Glen Park shows and "had a fabulous voice" said friend Sally Starr, also a legend on channel 6. Sally said, "he was a successful nightclub singer and had a much in demand lounge act." He loved to visit nursing homes where he would lead group sing-alongs.

The Second World War put a halt to his performances with Buddy Wilson. After his discharge from the service in 1946, he went looking for singing gigs in Harrisburg. They were few and far apart. He needed steady work and filled in an application for a toll taker job on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. However, before he mailed it in, he received a notice from a Philly radio station.

Halftown was also a top, professional bowler and was a spokesman for the Brunswick Bowling Manufacturing Corporation. At the age of 15 in Jamestown, NY, Halftown worked as a pin boy, someone who loaded the bowling pins into the equipment. While stationed in the Army at the base located in Carlisle, PA, he competed on a three-state championship team. He continued bowling even while on channel 6. One night, he was asked to substitute for another player, and a large crowd gathered. He bowled well and became part of the team. During the 1957-58 season, his team won the city's major league title. Because of this, Brunswick signed him as part of their "pro staff."

Halftown also worked as a teenage errand runner and water carrier for circus elephants. Many also recall seeing Chief Halftown at his numerous public appearances like "Dutch Wonderland."

He stood 6 feet, 3 inches tall. Chief Halftown once stated: I had an offer from WDAS (radio in Philadelphia) to be a DJ in 1949. Grady and Hurst (two other local legends) were already doing their bit. In a year, the station was sold and I was out of a job.

Speaking of the TV career, the Chief mentioned I had no idea what it would come to, but I vowed that I would be myself. I wouldn't talk like a Hollywood Indian. I was surprised at the success of the show. I made it clear that I was an Indian and no one was to tell me how to be an Indian. I was always disturbed that in the movies, you never saw an Indian laugh. Do into an Indian home or reservation, and the first thing you would do is hear laughter. I had firm, loving parents, so I was not going to be a dull Indian. I've never considered myself a celebrity. I always like best what I'm doing at the time.

When he first applied for the channel 6 program, he had no gear so he went to a Chestnut Street costume shop to rent one. He came a long way.

For years, Chief Halftown and his wife, Margaret lived in Glen Mills, PA. A couple years ago, the Halftowns moved to the shore to be near their three children.

To Chief Halftown, all the kids who ever watched say "Nya-wey." That means thanks in Seneca.